Icepops 2018 was held on 3rd April 2018 at the University of Liverpool. This was the first time the conference ran, and almost 70 delegates attended from countries including: the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Hungary, Sweden, Switzerland.
Chris Morrison and Jane Secker were the conference co-chairs, and the event was sponsored by: Copyright Licensing Agency, Learning on Screen, CREATe and the IPO Education team. You can see a selection of photos from the day and the event hashtag was #icepops2018
We also produced the Icepops Annual 2019 (20MB PDF) which includes contributions from many of the speakers at the 2018 event.
Keynote speakers included:
Professor Ronan Deazley, Queen’s University Belfast – When the Copyright Fun Stops, Stop! (PDF 101MB)
Ronan’s talk was followed by the World Premier of Episode 4 of The Game is On: The missing note, the Sherlock Holmes inspired film made by CopyrightUser.
Alex Moseley, University of Leicester – Looking for Play in Dark Places. (PDF 66MB)
- Chris Morrison and Jane Secker – An Introduction to the Publishing Trap (PDF 11MB)
- You can find out more and download the game from the Publishing Trap webpage.
Lightning Talks included:
- Inga-Lil Nilsson, Karlstad University – Avoiding the C Word (PDF)
- Jane Hyndman, Compact Media – Top Tips for Copyright Owners (PDF)
- Kyle K. Courtney, Harvard University – Mitigating Risk at the Front Lines: The Library Copyright First Responders Program (PDF)
- Mark Walford, Sage Publications – Copyright: Don’t Care was Made to Care (PDF)
- Maryam Fakouri, University of Washington Libraries – Try It Yourself: An Active Lesson Fair Use (PDF)
- Lisa Moore, University of Creative Arts – Copyright and Nirvana Open Access Tour (PDF)
- Karolina Andersdotter, Uppsala University – Maker Parties and Maps (PDF1); Maker Parties and Maps (PDF2); Maker Parties and Maps web page
- Neil Sprunt, University of Manchester – Last Year a Monkey Saved my Life (PDF)
- Rachel Scanlon, Bodliean Social Science Library, Oxford – And the Oscar Goes to…. (PDF)
World Cafe Presentations included:
- Bartolomeo Meletti, CREATe (University of Glasgow) / BFI – The Game is On – Exploring Copyright & Creativity with Sherlock Holmes – TGIO Episode 4 and CopyrightUser
- Denes Legeza, Hungarian Intellectual Property Office – Learning through Walking: Copyright Related Cases and Places (PDF available to download)
- Emilie Algenio, Kathy Christie Anders, Texas A&M University Libraries, U.S.A. – What’s Your Problem?: Problem-Based Learning and Copyright Education (PDF)
- Greg Walters, University of Glasgow – Play your cards right (link to resources)
- Kirstyn Radford, University of York – Copyright cavaliers or control freaks – is there a happy medium? (Link to Presentation)
- Marion Kelt, Glasgow Caledonian University – Crowdsourcing your copyright expertise for the GCU online copyright advisor! (Link to the Copyright Advisor; Link to the video; Link to other user testing form; Link to CC-BY Licensed iSpring resources; Link to Flowcharts and text files)
- Melanie Johnson University of Auckland, New Zealand – Augmented Reality and Copyright (PDF)
- Rhodri Hughes and Tess Pilgrim, Copyright Licensing Agency – CLA Quiz on Recent Copyright Cases (PDF)
- Ruth Mallalieu, The University of Sheffield – Tied up in Knots? Copyright Snakes and Ladders (PDF instructions)– full game coming soon
- Stephen Penton City, University of London – Animating copyright: teaching using videos (PDF)
- Catherine Davies, UK Intellectual Property Office – Cracking Ideas: Copyright resources for teachers (weblink)
- Caroline Salamin, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne – Copyright Compliance Bingo! (available to download)
Games Pitches included:
- Stephanie (Charlie) Farley, University of Edinburgh – Games & Adventures – teaching copyright & open licensing with game creation (Link to Games Jam page) Board Game Jam Slides (PDF)
- Neil Sprunt and Anna Theis – Would I lie to you about copyright (PDF)
More Fun and Games!
- We ended the day with Kyle Courtney’s Fair Use Game Show with his expert panel made up of Emilie Algenio and Maryam Fakouri
- We were delighted to have installed for the day the Karaoke Shower and Cracking Ideas resources presented by Catherine Davies from the UK Intellectual Property Office Education team.
- The event was rounded off with an evening social at the Fly in the Loaf pub with an informal buffet meal and drinks available to delegates.
- More photos from the event are available in our Flickr Album.